Digital transformation is getting some traction now.
There are many definitions of digital transformation.
For example, according to salesforce digital transformation is – Digital transformation is the process of using digital technologies to create new — or modify existing — business processes, culture, and customer experiences to meet changing business and market requirements. This reimagining of business in the digital age is digital transformation.
But, how exactly do implement digital transformation in an enterprise using artificial intelligence?
In a recent workshop, I proposed a set of steps for implementing digital transformation in an enterprise using artificial intelligence as a gedankenexpriment (thought experiment)
The steps are
- For an existing process in an enterprise, break down the steps of the process
- For each step, model the process as best as you can by using data and algorithms (supervised, unsupervised, reinforcement)
- Then remove humans entirely from the process
- Automate the process as much as you can by using the models in the previous step
- Then bring back the humans as experts in specific steps of the process as needed i.e. rethink humans as experts
- Then constantly think of improving the new process by learning from experience (improving the models with the human experts and the models working together)
The steps are radical because you remove humans and then add them back.
However, this thought experiment approach forces you to rethink the process from first principles with AI at the centre
Image source: Einstein for dummies – based on one of the best-known thought from Einstein i.e. how would the world look like from a beam of light. You can follow me on linkedin at Ajit Jaokar